At Vertical Acuity (and Scribit), we license a lot of content from some of the best and highest quality publishers in the world. We currently have over 65 Million pieces of content ready for instant re-publishing (syndication).
While we pay all publishers/content owners for the their content we have observed how difficult and time consuming it can be to actually get an agreement done and how cumbersome those agreement often become. So, we decided to create a new type of content licensing agreement – one that is really simple, easy to understand, and designed to empower publishers to really easily strike deals to monetize their content. Our new Scribit product line will enable us to pay Publishers as much, if not more, than they are currently making by showing their content on their own site. We give publishers complete control and visibility over their content and do not put any advertising on it. Let us know what you think of our new agreement and model.
If you have content you want to monetize, feel free to print this agreement, sign it and send it on to us. It should be that easy (and will be soon).
Agreement to Pay you for Your Digital Content
- What is this? Despite being writing in clear and easy to understand language, this is a contract for Vertical Acuity (“We”) to pay XYZPublisher (“You“) for use of the digital content you provide to us (“Content”).
- Complete Control and Transparency. You will have complete control and transparency with regard to the use of your content. We will make your content available to subscribers to our Scribit service (www.scribit.com describes the service). You will be able to log in at any time, see what businesses are using your content and how many page views have been consumed. If you do not want any business to use your content, just tell us and we will remove that content within 48 hours.
- We Pay You to use Your Content. You have a choice of how you get paid for your content. We will guarantee you and pre-pay you for a fixed number of page views at a rate of $x per 1000 page views; or, we can just get started and we will pay you on a monthly basis at a rate of $y per 1000 page views.
- Calculating and Paying You Fees. At the end of each month, You will be able see exactly how many page views of Your Content were consumed and on which site they were consumed. You will be able to do this at partners.verticalacuity.com. We will pay You within 45 days of the end of each month. If we pre-paid for Your content, you will also be able to see how many pages were viewed and how many page views We have left to use.
- Getting us Your Content. We will work with You to find the best and easiest way to get your Content. You can provide us with a feed (preferred), we can use your site map, or we can use a tag and scrape technology (painful). In any case, we only pay You if You get us Your content and make sure we have access to the current Content on Your site.
- Its Gotta be Your Content and We will respect it. You grant Vertical Acuity a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub-licensable license to use the Your Content provided by You solely for the purpose of providing such Content to Vertical Acuity customers for distribution and display on VA Customer Sites as well as the right to provide fair use links or text that directs third parties to review such Content on permitted VA Customer sites. Except as otherwise expressly permitted by this Agreement, We will not (i) use the Company Content outside the scope of the rights granted pursuant to this Agreement; (ii) copy, modify, adapt, translate or otherwise create derivative works of the Company Content; or (v) remove, obscure, or modify any attribution, indication of authorship or ownership or copyright notice or notice of other proprietary right appearing in or on the Content. You shall be responsible for securing the rights and licenses necessary to provide Content. You must notify Vertical Acuity in the event it receives a Take Down Notice with respect to the Content it provides and shall remove or otherwise disable such Content within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt of such notice.
- Term. If you are not happy with us for any reason, just tell us and we will terminate our relationship and make sure all of your content is removed from our network within 15 days of your written notice.
- Confidentiality. To the extent that either You or We have access to each others confidential information, we agree to keep it confidential. Confidential information includes, trade secrets, customer information, financial information, or information about how technology works. If either of us wants to disclose any Confidential information, we need to get written permission.
- What if Something goes wrong? While we don’t expect it, if something goes wrong, we both agree to resolve any disagreement in binding arbitration in Atlanta and according to Georgia law. If either party receives an award of $5,000 or more, the other party must pay the prevailing party’s legal and arbitration costs arising from, or pertaining to, the dispute. No matter what, neither party will be liable for any indirect, special, consequential, or punitive damages.
- That’s it. If something comes up later, we can change our deal only by agreeing in writing.
XYZ Publisher (You): Vertical Acuity (We):